What to Expect at Your First Massage Session
Massage therapy offers a wide variety of health and wellness benefits, including stress relief and pain management. Find out what you can expect at your massage therapy session by reading below. This is some great information for people who have never had a massage before and also for East Coast first-timers. Every massage therapy practice is run differently and I like to think I'm pretty unique!
- I start off by having you fill out a brief intake form consisting of health history questions. This part of the process is mandatory and also a liability for my business. I follow HIPAA protocol.
- Next, this is what I like to call the "interview process". Here, we spend a few minutes chatting about the key points of your intake form. From there, we will come up with a plan tailored to your specific needs. When I say plan, I mean a plan for this session. I take it one session at a time, especially if this is your first massage ever or in a very long time.
- I ask that you come 5-10 minutes early for this intake process. I like to allow enough time before and after your massage for intake, checking out, and rebooking so that we don't have to cut into your session time.
- Before your massage, you will be asked to remove your clothing to your level of comfort. Typically, most people will get undressed to their underwear or less.
- I will leave the room while you undress.
- You will lie on the massage table, underneath the provided sheet and blanket.
- I always have relaxing music playing in my studio, but if you find music distracting, simply let me know. I can play any type of music. I have also worked in silence, with just a sound machine on, or I have even had clients request to play their own audiobook/podcast. The same goes for talking during your session. I just go with the flow. This is your time.
- The massage table is padded and also heated. The heat can be adjusted to three different temperatures or even turned off if you become too warm,
- I use an all-natural, nut-free oil/lotion mix.
- Depending on your needs that we discuss during your intake, I will massage either your full body (scalp, neck, arms, legs, hands, feet, back, and shoulders), or only specific areas that need attention, such as, especially tight muscles or areas you are experiencing pain/discomfort.
- During your massage, communication is key. From the temperature of the table, pressure, music, etc. This is your time and your money. I check-in throughout the session. If you need any modifications at any point, please do not hesitate to let me know.
- After your massage, I will step out of the room to allow you to slowly get up and get dressed in privacy.